- Using TED Talks to help students with Listening and Speaking
- Turning volume of a video off to focus on presentation skills such as eye contact, gestures, body language.
- Posting a video on Facebook for students to watch; have students post their own 2 minute response to videos on Facebook
- Letting students choose and watch videos they’re interested in and briefly report a summary to the class the next day for extra credit.
- Asset-Based Training
- Activities that focus on asset-based words, or positive words that focus on a student’s assets rather than deficits.
- As the teacher, using positive language, such as “Try saying that in English” rather than “Don’t speak in your L1”
- Activities such as ABCs, 5:1, Shift, and Visual Literacy
- Great Get-To-Know-You Activities
- TRIOS, My First Car, etc
- Applying some of the activities to community building using L1
CAPSTONE PROJECT IDEAS
- Community building int he ESL classroom using the student’s L1 and L1 identity
- 3-2-1 plan? 3 CB activities the first week, 2 CB the second week, 1 CB the third week.
- Different types of activities: warm-up/icebreakers, extra credit, Facebook posts
- How do I measure if community building is successful?
- In building a community within the classroom, how much does the teacher include his/herself in the community he./she is trying to.
- What factors come into play when a teacher decides how much he/she reveals him/herself to the students, or in other words, how much he/she becomes a part of the community in community building activities.